On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Ossama Othman wrote:
:
: > > Below is yet another story of hacker attack,...
: >
: > Please do not refer to these people as hackers.  This is not Newsweek.
:
: Okay...then what are they?  Gremlins?  Heh..sorry.  :-)
:
: In all seriousness, what would you call them?  I understand that those of
: us who "hack" code to improve it may also be called hackers, such as Linux
: kernel hackers.  The rest of the world external to the "computer world"
: seems to have adopted the term "hacker" to mean a person who performs
: computer/network related malicious acts.

How about crackers, criminals, miscreants, vandals ...

: Who is right and who is wrong?  I would have to say neither.  Each of us
: is entitled to their own interpretation.

Sure.  You're entitled to any interpretation you please, but that
doesn't make you "right".  Take a look at the jargon file.

: Thank you for taking Hacker Philosophy 101.  We now return you to your
: Debian scheduled program.  :-)
:
: -Ossama

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet - 410 South Phillips Avenue - Sioux Falls, SD  57104