Ionut Borcoman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the tips. Now, my system is working again. I've aded the
> system users from a backup of the passwd. Mainly the mail, www-user,
> etc. I just wonder about several things:

good to hear its back up

> 1. how do I test that everything is back to normal ?

Thats not easy...um... passwd works? um chsh and all that"good stuf" um w ...you
can log in...sounds fixed to me :)

> 2. how do I avoid things like this in the future ?

Don't be stupid ;)what exactly that means well...ya got me....
I have messed up my own system more than once
Probably will again at some point....my suugestion is to invest in
a tape drive to backup with (SCSI tape drives rule)
They work great...and will hgelp with even  more serious problms
(lets say you install a buggy package from unstable and it decides
that you don't need to unmount filesystems on reboot....so you start rebooting
lot to try to figure out what is causing it and fix it...and it destroys your
filesystem
before you find it...lets just say I wish I had my tape backup way back when)
of course...then...you probably will do what I do and not backup properly or
frequently
enough....

> 3. it looks that I have no more the shadow installed. How do I check
> this and do I need it at all ?

IMHO no you dn't need it...The only people who really need it are larger
companmies runing multiuser systems
who actually have data to worry about intrusion...
if you run a simple home system then no
All shadow passwords really do is hide the password hash so crackers have
nothing

to take home and tsrt a few machines brute forcing
I use them simply because I hit Y at install time...if it required mor ethna
that
I wouldn't

> Thanks again to all that answered so quickly to my !!! URGENT !!! need.

BTW I noticed you got it fixed with the use ofinit=/bin/bash (or some shell)
that works great BUT I noticed a deficiancy in the message...
I was advised that if you come up in that mode... you MUST
double sync before reboot (well you don't HVAE to but...
its a really good idea)
so when you are done just sync;sync;reboot
(there was some disscussion of this a week or so ago...in this case it is
perfectly safe...and proper)
-Steve