Hi,

Steve> On 16 May 1998 00:20:33 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Now, you have to mark packages you want to upgrade. Tell me again,
>> how reversing the default would be any different?

Steve> I add a new package.  All of a sudden I have to mark that
Steve> package (or section) for hold again.  I add another package, I
Steve> have to mark it again.  I add another package, I must, again,
Steve> mark it held.

        What do you  mean, you add a package? I run dselect update;
 dselect select. There are a bunch of packages that are new. There a
 re a bunch of packages that are updated.

 The first time you do this:
 0) Move cursor to line that says: Up to date installed packages hit =

        You just need to do this *once*. The following steps are
 recurring ones.

 1) Move cursor to line that says: New Packages. Hit =
 2)  Move cursor to line that says: Updated packages (newer version is
     available) Hit =

Steve> That is not two operations.

        See? precisely two operations.

>> show any possible means where you do not have to mark packages for
>> upgrade? (In the current method, you have to mark packages to hold
>> them; I shpowed how to reverse the default in two ops).

Steve> Not two operations.  Two operations for the current set of
Steve> packages.

        Huh? Every tiem you run select, you only have to do step
 1. Step 2 may or may not be needed, but do it just to be safe.

>> Two ops get you the reverse default already. And, anyway, as I
>> said, the authors shall gladly accept valid patches.

Steve> Too bad I can't program, huh?

        Well, you should either be able to program, or be polite. The
 developers are not serfs, you know. We do not have to take rudeness
 (and yess, in my opinion, you were rude and demanding. Ans so was I
 in response. I apologize for not being polite to percieved rudeness)

Steve> I have stated why it is different above and where the beef is,
Steve> that you're asking me to put up with something you have stated,
Steve> clearly, you would not if the reverse were true.

        I think I misstated my position; If I had to take just 2 steps
 every time to reverse the defaults; I would not find that
 unacceptable. (well, I would probably provide a patch if it bugged me
 enough, but then, not every one need be able to code.)

        manoj
--
 By night an atheist half believes a God.  -- Edward Young
Manoj Srivastava  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <http://www.datasync.com/%7Esrivasta/>