On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Chris Massam wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if someone could tell me what the difference between glibc
> and libc6 is,
>
> I've seen a few apps coming out these days written for libc5 or glibc , no
> mention of libc6... is libc6 compatible with glibc.

glibc = Gnu libc = libc6

>From the GNU Libc FAQ:

2.1.    Can I replace the libc on my Linux system with GNU libc?

{UD} You cannot replace any existing libc for Linux with GNU
libc.  It is binary incompatible and therefore has a different major
version.  You can, however, install it alongside your existing libc.

For Linux there are three major libc versions:
        libc-4          a.out libc
        libc-5          original ELF libc
        libc-6          GNU libc

You can have any combination of these three installed.  For more
information consult documentation for shared library handling.  The
Makefiles of GNU libc will automatically generate the needed symbolic
links which the linker will use.

Bob

----
Bob Nielsen                 Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tucson, AZ                  AMPRnet:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]