scott hussey wrote:

> I am a very novice Linux/Debian user and am trying to setup minicom.  I am
> curious about how to get minicom to recognize my modem. I read in the man
> page that most linux systems have the serial port as /dev/modem or
> /dev/cua#. How can I get Linux to install my modem as a dev. Currently,
> pppd recognizes my modem as ttys2, but minicom gives me the message 'I/O
> Error' when it tries to open ttys2. Any help is greatly appreciated.

        In addition to what the others have said, keep in mind that the kernel
has
to have serial support either builtin to the kernel or built as loadable
modules.  So if your modem is a standard serial device, make sure your
kernel supports it.  IIRC, the default debian kernel images provide serial
support as a module.  Try 'modprobe serial', if it says it can't find the
module, you'll need to build a kernel with that support (if you know serial
support is builtin this won't be necessary).  Like I said though, this
really should only be necessary if you have built a custom kernel.  The
easiest thing to do is make sure that a line with 'auto' is found in
/etc/modules; this will make sure that the serial module is loaded
automagically when you need it.

--
Ed