On Mon, 29 Jun 1998, Lars Steinke wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I had a tad bit of problems getting a GLoria Synergy AGP by ELSA to run
> using the XSuSE_Elsa_GLoria server (as XFree cannot support binary-only
> servers).
>
> One of the problems might be that SuSE still uses libc5 while I am
> installing Debian 2.0 Beta...
> Actually it should work nevertheless as I installed the compatibility libs
> libc5 and xlib6. Also I tried both, just setting XSuSE_Elsa_GLoria in
> /etc/X11/Xservers and doing syslinking in /usr/X11R6/bin by hand - to no
> avail:
>
> The Xserver runs -probeonly but when started properly the complete system
> hangs with a black screen after a few monitor syncs (no Ctrl-Alt-Del or
> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace).
> It shouldn't be a XF86Config problem either, as we used SuSe's xf86config
> and linked XF86Config to /etc/X11, Debian-style...
>
> Help would be greatly appreciated,
>
>        /(__  __|\          Lars Steinke, Research Student @
>       (    \/  __)_        www.fmf.uni-freiburg.de, Germany
>        )   (_____  /       for PGP PKey and WWW-Page finger
>       /___________/        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I feel your pain :). I too have a Permedia 2 card and am currently running
S.u.S.E.'s Elsa_GLoria XFree86 bin. This works just fine with Debian 1.3
as it is a libc5 system. That creates a huge problem for people like you
who run a libc6 system and people like me who want to upgrade to it. All
we can do at this point is mail S.u.S.E. and request that they compile a
few libc6 bins of their servers. For now, you can either go back to Debian
1.3 or you can just not run X and wait for S.u.S.E. to make libc6 bins
available. Good luck with your system.

.-
Brian Weiss ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.got.net/~brian