Hi there

I've a dual PPro unit that has been a 33K6 PPP PAP dialin server for the
last year (hamm for the last 3 months), and worked fine, so long as I ran
pppd v2.2 - I kept the old binary lying around and just symlinked it back
in after every ppp update from hamm, because the v2.3 binary didn't work,
and I couldn't be bothered working out why :-).

Since installing the hamm beta a few days back, my PPP performance has
plummeted - everything still works, but I get ~1Kbps rather than the
~33Kbps I'd normally see.  Since then I've tried 2.0.34 with ppp 2.2, and
2.1.107 with ppp 2.3.5, to no avail.  Everything seems to work fine (users
authenticate OK etc), just deathly slow.  There are two modems in the box,
showing identical behaviour (both are setserial'd to spd_vhi, and both
are set to 115200 in the ppp options file), and a 14K4 in another hamm
machine shows similar poor performance.

>From my (hamm) box at home, with a 56K modem, connected to a local 56K
ISP, I get (running 'pppstats -w 10' while an FTP is going on):

      IN   PACK VJCOMP  VJUNC  VJERR  |      OUT   PACK VJCOMP  VJUNC
   47905     35     35      0      0  |      268     19     18      0
   47981     36     35      0      0  |      213     20     19      0
   49461     38     36      0      0  |      269     19     18      0
   47981     36     35      0      0  |      258     18     17      0
   49038     35     35      0      0  |      201     19     18      0

Same machine dialed into the 33K server at work, with an FTP happening:

      IN   PACK VJCOMP  VJUNC  VJERR  |      OUT   PACK VJCOMP  VJUNC
    1029      3      2      0      0  |       94      2      1      0
    1017      2      2      0      0  |      120      4      2      0
       0      0      0      0      0  |        0      0      0      0
     509      1      1      0      0  |       94      2      1      0
     508      1      1      0      0  |       26      2      1      0

I have no idea what is going on here - that's a 10 second gap when nothing
happened at all!  I've also run a test with minicom and sz, and that
showed similar performance - around the ~1Kbps mark, so I'm pretty
confidant the problem doesn't lie with ppp, rather that something has
changed in the serial port or mgetty setup in the new system?

Any ideas welcome - my users are about to send out the lynch mob, and the
idea of moving the modems back to a bo box doesn't really appeal.

TIA

Cheers
Si