Moore, Paul wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying a new PC. However, I want to be sure my hardware
> will be supported. I've read the Hardware HOWTO, and I *think* I
> understand it, but there are a number of things I am still concerned
> about:
>
> * The supplier wasn't 100% clear on the exact video card spec - it's a
> Jetway make, using S3 ViRGE chipset. Is this likely to be OK?

        Yes, the S3 VIRGE chipset is supported.

> * The video card is an AGP model. All I can find in the HOWTO and the
> XFree86 notes is that "some" AGP cards work. Will this one??!?

        I don't know.  Try going to http://www.xfree86.org and see if they have
anything about your AGP card.

> * The sound card is a "Creative Labs PCI 64" card. Is that likely to
> work? It's a plug and pray card - does that cause me problems?

        The current stable linux kernels don't have support for PnP.  There is
a package called 'isapnptools' that can initialize PnP cards, but only
on ISA bus cards; yours is a PCI card.  Before giving up, try checking
your computer's BIOS program.  It may be able to initialize PnP cards at
bootup by itself.  My BIOS (AMI) has this feature (which saves me much
grief).

> The rest of the spec seems unlikely to be a problem - Pentium II 333MHz,
> BX 100MHz motherboard, 64M RAM, 4.3G EIDE UDMA disk, 32x CD ROM (IDE).
> Does anybody know of any issues or relevant questions I should ask?

        Not sure about the 100mhz motherboard; the rest is no problem.