> That's the good news.  The bad news is it just sits there, without so
> much as a prompt.

Why would you want it to give you a prompt?  What would you do with it if
you got it?  Once the ppp connection is up, it is just there for any
application to use, just like an ethernet connection.  The applications
neither know nor care whether their packets are going out via ppp or over a
LAN.

> I need to set up for e-mail and for actually getting on the net, but I
> don't know how.

Try Netscape.

> The distribution includes packages like "exim," "elm-me+", and
> "procmail," that are (I gather) supposed to do e-mail, but their manual
> pages seem to ignore how to make them interface with PPP, and nothing in
> all my PPP info tells me how either.

That's because you don't need to interface them to ppp.  Just install them
and configure them and they will work.  It's easier than it looks.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            Do with it what you will.