On Tue, Aug 03, 1999 at 06:25:28PM -0500, xxxxx xxxxx wrote:
> Hi!
> Could anyone tell me what's a good hardware/software combination to use to
> make frequent FULL backups of a Debian system (operating system,
> "applications", and data).  I asked recently at a fairly large Linux group
> meeting, and everyone seemed suprised by the question and there were no good
> answers, which completely floored me... how could anyone smart enough to use
> Linux not back up their entire system RELIGIOUSLY?
>
> I have thought about trying to use a CD-RW device, such as the HP 8100i or
> 8200i, but HP's web site seems to hint that you can't back up to multiple CDs
> in sequence, so that limits a backup to > 650 Mb.  I've also considered using
> an internal Jaz drive (expensive, especially the cartridges!), an internal
> Zip drive (110 or 250Mb - anybody use those with Linux?), or even an internal
> QIC tape drive.  Would that work?  How? Using TAR or CPIO? And does Debian
> really not recognize parallel port backup devices? Bummer... that's really
> limiting.  Especially if you've been using a parallel port tape backup unit
> since DOS 3.2!
>
> Other considerations: ATX main system board, AMD k6-2 processor, WD 8.4Gb
> hard drive, and my need to have things work right - first time, every time,
> without exception.  PS, I want to avoid using a proprietary Linux
> distribution (ie, Caldera), just to get some stripped down commercial backup
> application.
>
> Thanks for the help!
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The only backup media I've used with UNIX/Linux, and LIKED, was a
4mm DAT drive.  Very nice, but expensive.  The last drive I priced
was in the $600 range, but that's been a while (surely they've come
down since then?)

As far as the backup sofware goes, I can't help you there... I
always used cpio ;/

Mike

[Private mail welcome, but no need to CC: me on list replies.]

--
Michael Merten
          ---> E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]