At 01:27 AM 11/16/99 +0100, J Horacio MG wrote:
Hi,

I'm about to build a new kernel (2.2.10), and would like to go over the
steps for compiling (not make kpkg) as I'm not sure about them:

# make config (or menuconfig)

# make mrproper
# make menuconfig

here I have a doubt about the options which can be configured as
loadable modules instead of compiling into the kernel.  Say I use a
device too often, eg. cdrom.  If I configure it as a loadable module,
would this imply the performance would be any different than if compiled
it in the kernel?  Or, ppp, or other services which can be used oftenly.

# make dep

# make clean

# make zImage

probably bzImage for 2.2.x kernels?

# make bzImage

# make modules

# rm -rf /lib/modules/2.0.36/

well, if I removed the old modules and had problems with the new kernel,
I wouldn't be able to use the old kernel, so this step should probably
(definately) be avoided.

Just don't do it ;-)
You don't have a problem when you have another
kernel version. If you have the same kernel version
change the 'EXTRAVERSION' in the makefile.

# make modules_install

# depmod -a

# mv /path/to/zImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10

# mv /path/to/System.map /boot/System.map-2.2.10

# make mrproper

You should have saved your kernel config in menuconfig!!!
(last option)

# cd /

# rm vmlinuz

# ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10 vmlinuz

I don't restore the link and add the boor dir
in lilo.conf...

next, reflect the changes in /etc/lilo.conf

Make sure that you can boot the old image
and that you get promted!

# lilo

Regards,

Onno