There have been several reports of similar problems, most of which
appear to be associated with anacron, an occasional jobs schedular
similar to cron.

I had the problem myself on two boxes.  Apparently one or more of the
scripts in /etc/cron.daily was bugging out when run under anacron --
though I have no clear understanding why this should be, as both anacron
and cron run "run-parts" with the same arguments.

Other symptoms you may want to check for are one or more hanging anacron
processes, and/or zombie processes related to your /etc/cron.daily
scripts.

The fix in my case was to remove the anacron package, as both the
affected systems are up 24/7.  While cron will run the scripts in
/etc/cron.(daily|weekly|monthly), you may miss a cycle if your system is
down when the job would normally have run.