Perhaps a stupid question, since your system seemed to work before you
used 2.4.20.

I think it is X that loads the kernel when reading the XF86Config.
What does your XF86config contain?

Mine has

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation GeForce2 Go [NV11]"
        Driver          "nvidia"
        BusID           "PCI:01:00:0"
EndSection

With:
root@expresso> lspci | grep -i nvidia
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 Go]
(rev b2)

Hope it helps.

Regarding 2.4.20 and nvidia 4191, I have performance problems since I
- kernel upgraded from 2.4.18 gcc 2.95 to 2.4.20 3.2.2 (self compiled)
- nvidia 2960 to 4191 (compiled
- gnome 2.2

Nautilus takes several seconds to update itself when switching
workspace. It didn't with former installation.

Jerome

--
Jerome Lacoste (Frisurf) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
CoffeeBreaks