On Wed, 29 Nov 2000 07:41:54 +1300, "C. Falconer" writes:
>At 11:15 AM 11/28/00 +0100, you wrote:
>> >  Is there an appropriate
>> >selection of Debian packages for this?
>>
>>I wouldn´t know of one.
>
>I have an old serial terminal plugged into a null modem cable.  It sits
>just to the left of my main monitor and in syslog.conf I have
>*.*     /dev/ttys1
>
>So all syslogd output for all machines is displayed on it.

That´s great for general purposes alone, but it doesn´t mail you and
 say: "hey, someone just port-scanned you" or the like. and that´s
 what I think Mario had in mind.

>All my linux boxes run tcplogd which logs connections - its not the
>greatest software around, but does okay.

Simple plain old remote syslogging is a great thing, but has it´s
limits also.

&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /