On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 12:02:14AM +0000, Phillip Deackes wrote:
> I have spent much of the day getting more and more confused about
> firewalls and Linux. I am having a cable modem installed soon and want my
> system to be secure. I have only the one computer, and am running Woody.
>
> Is there a free (or low-cost) firewall which will work on Debian? I don't
> feel confident enough to be messing with ipchains and such. I had a look
> at Storm Firewall, but this is expensive at 99USD and seems way over the
> top for what I would need on a single workstation.
>
> I downloaded gfcc, but don't understand what to do with it. I have read
> the Firewall HOWTO but I really don't grasp much of it. I am embarassed to
> admit that I really want an out-of-box solution - something I can install
> and perhaps tweak a little as I get more confident. I don't do anything
> out of the ordinary on the Internet, just the usual mail, news and web. I
> occasionally use ReadAudio and ftp, but not a lot else.

        Install something like "pmfirewall" or "seawall."  I've used
        pmfirewall before and it is simple to set up.  Basically what
        these two scripts do is write ipchains rules for you based on
        some of the questions you answer.  I don't have any urls' handy
        but they should be easy to find.  After installing your chains
        take a look at them and learn from them.  One other thing you
        might think about is getting a cheap or free 486 and make it
        your firewall.
        hth,
        kent

--
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
      you must first create the universe."