Phillip Deackes wrote:

> I have spent much of the day getting more and more confused about
> firewalls and Linux. I am having a cable modem installed soon and want my
> system to be secure. I have only the one computer, and am running Woody.

I use Coyote Linux (http://www.coyotelinux.com/) on a floppy disk.  I
run it in a beat-to-hell Packard Bell P60 with two Linksys PCI cards.  I
/would/ say that you can easily pick up a similar machine for $50US, and
a home networking starter kit for about the same, but that's quite a
chunk of money to protect one computer.

Alternately, I'd recommend a Linksys Broadband Router (seen at Best Buy
last week for $80US), one with a single port.  If you later decide to
get more PCs inside your firewall, and cost is still an issue, you could
still use the before-mentioned $50 home network kit and attach the
uplink port to the broadband router.

But that's just my $0.02US ;)

--
-=|JP|=-                "Why, oh, why didn't I take the blue pill?"
Jon Pennington        | Atipa Linux Solutions   -o)

6D04 39E0 CAE9 9ADA 2CA3  2EBE 898A 6C37 CA1E A29C