Dave Sherohman wrote:

> I've got a Dell box I'm installing debian on with an intergrated NIC on the
> motherboard.  When I booted the install CD, the system startup messages
> included
>
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7 on irq 14
This is your hard drive :-)

> so I figured, "Great!  It's been autodetected, so I don't have to worry about
> what it actually is!"
>
> I was wrong.  When it booted off the hard drive, the same message was
> displayed in the startup sequence, but eth0 isn't there:

send us the output from "dmesg"

> hudson:~# ifconfig eth0 up
> eth0: unknown interface: Operation not supported by device
>
> Where would I start looking to determine what the appropriate module/settings
> for this card would be?
you must select the card when you install Debian originally or recompile
the kernel with the correct modules for the card. You should be able to
get the info you need from Dell, especially since they are now
supporting Linux on many of their systems. They may have a driver/module
for the onboard NIC that you will require. Such is the hardship of
integrated systems.
--
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster