Dave Sherohman wrote:
As I suspected the kernel is not trying to load a kernel module for the
NIC, everything else looks OK. My suggestion is to contact Dell and
query them about the onboard NIC chip set. They may have the specs
listed on their website. It is likely that the board is made to their
specs (saves them big bucks) and the NIC may only be identifiable by the
chip set name and model. Alternatively if you have windows also
installed check in the start; control panel; settings; systems; menu and
look at the network card setting there...that should show the card/chip
set and model number as a driver. Look for Realtek, 3com, intel, i.e.
something with a ethernet card name and model number. Once you have
identified the chipset you can recompile the kernel and modules for your
specefic hardware setup. Try to find out also about any other onboard
components such as video chipset, sound chipset and hard drive
controller chipsets. These are all very likely built in and the
performance may be improved significantly when you recompile a new
kernel.
What are you installing from? Since I see no indication of dialup
connections to the internet via modem, I hope it is via cdrom.... not
flopppy disks. You will need to have several applications installed in
order to recompile the kernel.
--
We specialize in multi-processor computing systems!
John Foster