on Tue, May 22, 2001 at 10:31:26PM -0500, Andrei Ivanov ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
wrote:
> 'm running a 2.4.3 kernel with 2.2.1 glibc. Every now and then
> unkillable
> processes popup on my system (usually something that didnt shut down
> properly). It was xemacs once (and a ton of different processes that it
> runs), which prevented me running xemacs again as that user. Now it's
> mozilla .9. I have 2 processes sitting there doing nothing but preventing
> me starting netscape as a user. ps aux shows:
> scorpio   7314  0.0  3.8 28888 4876 tty1     D    May10   0:00
> /usr/local/mozilla/mozilla-bin

The process is in an uninterruptible sleep state.  This is almost the
same thing as a zombie state.  Likely it's communicating (or trying to
communicate) with a parent or child.

I usually try to track down process relationships with 'pstree', then
try killing related process with 15, 1, 2, and, if all else fails, 9.

True unkillable zombies are rather rare.

   Disclaimer:          http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/