"Karsten M. Self" wrote:
> I usually try to track down process relationships with 'pstree', then
> try killing related process with 15, 1, 2, and, if all else fails, 9.

killall -9 <program name> would be much more efficient, right?

> True unkillable zombies are rather rare.

Usually, it's pretty difficult; even though they are already half-dead.

BTW, speaking about killing processes...
Once I had a daemon that couldn't be killed because the client program
that once connected to it didn't close the ports properly. So the daemon
was just there sitting, waiting for a time-out. But it didn't happen.
Magically, kill -9 didn't work; the daemon materialized as a zombie, yet
it was a strong one.

It was pretty amusing... how long would a TCP connection time out given
that any other side doesn't close the connection (and none is reading
the ports)? Or, it just simply wouldn't time out?

Oki