It appears to me that throughout the book, the authors call a spade a spade
as they see it.  Debian got called on this one; trust me, RedHat gets larted
far more specifically and often, and SuSE gets thwocked a time or two as
well.  Just because a given distribution is your favorite doesn't mean it's
100% perfect all the time, to all people.

Perhaps someone who has a copy at hand can post the URL for the errata site
for the book, or dig up some email addresses for the authors.  Then the
people who take exception w/ their comments regarding the Debian way of
doing things can discuss this w/ the authors and see what exactly, in their
opinion, is wrong w/ the init scripts, etc.

Here's the *rest* of the comments from that particular section in the book:

"At each run level, init invokes the script /etc/init.d/rc with the new run level as an argument. Each script is responsible for finding its own configuration information, which may be in the form of other files in /etc, a subdirectory of /etc, or somwhere in the script itself.

If you're looking for the hostname of the system, it's stored in /etc/hostname, which is read by the /etc/init.d/hostname.sh script. Network interface and default gateway parameters are stored in /etc/network/interfaces, which is read by the ifup command called from /etc/init.d/networking Some network options can also be set in /etc/network options.

Good luck."

The section that the OP included goes immediately in front of the portion I've included. What I get from the *context* of the whole thing is that the authors, being experienced system administrators, would rather the system configuration information be kept in one location, whether it's in one file, such as /etc/rc.config or /etc/rc.config.d under SuSE, or /etc/sysconfig/ under RedHat. I don't think any distro has *all* of it's config information in one place, probably due mainly to compatibility w/ various software that's not necessarily written w/ that one distro in mind.

Does the Debian method work? Obviously, yes. Is it perfect? Probably not. Is it better or worse than SuSE or RedHat, I think that's a personal preference. For those of you who seem to take such offense to the notion, here's the email addresses listed in the book for the authors:

Evi Nemeth [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Garth Snyder [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Trent R. Hein [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The website for the books is at www.admin.com