On Tue, 2002-03-05 at 10:15, Simon Hepburn wrote:
> On Tuesday 05 Mar 2002 8:53 am, Patrick Kirk wrote:
> > On Mon, 2002-03-04 at 09:24, Oki DZ wrote:
> >
> > [huge snip]
> >
> > I don't know if loading modiules was the problem.  It looks to me like
> > th exserver  s simply not using the fonts I've already got!
> >
> > And I must say, almost all applications look really bad without decent
> > fonts!
> >
> > Can anyone see what is wrong here?
>
> Try commenting out
> #Load    "xtt"
>
> You are using the freetype back end and xtt. Choose one or the other. In fact
> thinking about it aren't you using xfs-xtt with X 4 ? You would also need to
> specify a path to your font server in section Files, to use xfs-xtt.
>
> FontPath              "unix/:7100"

Sorry but I don't understand.  I've rerun xf86config and the output is
attached.

I have freetype and true type installed.  I don't know how to get the
system to yse either.  My FontPath has nothing along the lines of
"unix/:7100" in it.  Befor eI add it it, what is it for and what else should I
put in to make it useful.

If it helps, there's a Windows PC in the same room and on
www.theregister.co.uk it shows fonts at least double the size of the
ones on my linux box.  Also it uses nice round fonts while mine are all
spidery. I have those same fonts but can't work out how to display them.

I look forward to your suggestions.  Meanwhile I'll google the problem
and see what it comes up with...

One more thing - how can I tell what version I'm running of X?

Patrick