Ye all Linux Wizzards.

plunging around some time with debian (at the moment 2.4.18 kernel) I am trying
to set up
a linux box as a gateway.

Reading lots of documentation I can't figure out what is the best choice
building this gateway.

What I have:

Ethernet network as a local home network.
The linux box has (of course) one ethernet interface (eth0) and one cablemodem,
connected to com1 (This is acting as a dialup modem!!!! ppp0)

What I want:

is a connection that builds a connection to the internet as soon as one of the
networkboxes
has an "internetquestion" and brings it down again after some idletime (not
because of the
costs but merely as a part of securing the system. Not connected is not
vulnerable, isn't it?!

The system is Debian. The ppp0 connection (pon provider) works fine.
I am configuring iptables.
What is the best way to manage the ppp-link. Use diald??
pon won't do the trick because my provider serves me a dynamic IP-number, so
'persist' and 'idle'
in /etc/ppp/peers/provider won't work properly anymore after switching IP's.

And what are the things to configure in diald to do the trick?

Thanx anyway in advance,
Frank.