On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 01:47:38PM -0500, Kent West wrote:
| >"Kent West" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
| >>at the risk of starting a Holy Way,
|
| Do'h! Six or seven postings later, I notice the misspelling. It's
| supposed to be "Holy War", as I'm sure everyone realized.  :-0

Some of those who skim most messages didn't even notice it (until
now).

| Thanks for everyone's input. I think I'll go the Sun route. Anyone have
| any idea why Sid's isn't up-to-date? Is it a "freedom" issue?

Yeah, AFAIK.

| If so, does Sun not realize they are hurting the spread of Java by
| not making it truly free?

I'll counter that with a question:

Does Sun realize that they're hurting Java/Solaris by requiring an X
server on any (headless) server doing server-side graphics?

Windows doesn't have that problem -- it always requires a head in the
first place.  Sun's AWT implementation requires a native peer for
every object (whether it is shown or not), and on Unix (eg
Solaris/SPARC) that requires an accessible X server.  It's one of the
biggest headaches I had as a support person at my previous job.  (that
combined with clients who didn't understand X at all even though they
were running headless Unix (Solaris mostly) systems)

As for your original question, jdk 1.1 is obsolete and buggy (well,
at least the bugs and other limitations are fairly well-known by now).
jdk 1.3 is fairly current, and the Blackdown folks provide
apt-gettable packages.  If you want 1.4, Sun is (currently) the sole
provider.  Oh, yeah, there is IBM's implementation too, but I don't
know anything about it.

-D

--

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
        --Jim Elliot

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/