On  0, Craig Dickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Tom Cook wrote:
>
> > On  0, Craig Dickson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > The Java you get from Sun will require you to have the version of the C
> > > runtime library that it was compiled for, which is older than what Woody
> > > or Sid use at this point. (I don't recall offhand what libc Potato
> > > uses.) It's available in the oldlibs section, however, so you can get
> > > the Sun packages to work without too much trouble. I think
> > > libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 is the one you need. Of course, Sun doesn't offer
> > > .debs, so you'll be working outside the Debian package system; annoying,
> > > but doable.
> >
> > This is not true.  I have Java 1.3.1_02-b02 from Sun running fine on a
> > woody system with only libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 installed.  It runs both
> > server-type systems and gui-apps (eg robocode).
>
> Do you have libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 symlinked to another version of the
> library? That file comes from libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1, and the java
> compiler from Sun's JDK 1.4 cannot be run without it. So with regard to
> Java 1.4, I stand by my statement.

Fair enough.  I made the assumption that you were speaking of 1.3.1.
I do have libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 symlinked to
libstdc++-libc6.1-2.so.2 and from there to
libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so, but I am fairly sure that this was
not my doing - it has been done on both my woody systems, only one of
which has Java used on it...

Tom
--
Tom Cook

Never be irreplacable:  If you are irreplacable then you are unpromotable.

Get my GPG public key:
https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au