1. If you can't fix these problems, you should ask yourself why you're
running testing, and consider stable instead.  Do you even need xorg?
2. The synaptics driver is in xfree86-driver-synaptics or
xorg-driver-synaptics.  It is used for a synaptics touchpad, commonly
found on laptops.

Well, I can't fix these problems.

And I can't get back to XFree86 either.

So I'm stuck with the problem for now. I believe it's come down to WDM not playing well with Xorg more than anything else. XDM works OK where WDM crashes consistently.