On Wed, 28 May 2003, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> hotswaping IDEs require hardware level ability as well as kernel level
> abilities. X86 lacks all core hardware hotswapability...periferal hardware is
> fine but swaping things like CPUs, Memory, harddrives, etc is impossable on
> X86.

Awhile back, I was looking into IDE RAID systems, and I remember a RAID5
hardware system that claimed to support hotswapping RAID drives.

Unfortunately, the price was a tad high, and I never bought it.

From the technical aspects of IDE, I see no reason why hardware cannot
RAID IDE drives, power down any faulty drives, power up any replacement
drives and mirror the data, all well telling the BIOS/OS that there is
only one drive.

(Now, if that's a good idea, OTOH...)

~ Jesse Meyer

--
        ...crying "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"... ~ HPL
 icq : 34583382              |     === ascii ribbon campaign ===