Herby I am posting the solution, which worked for me. Thanks every body
for input especially
Mike McCarty.
Here are the complete instructions for Debian 3.1 with 2.4.27-2-386
kernel:
1. Create a floppy disk so that you can boot into the grub environment
by following :
   - insert floppy
   -  cd /lib/grub/i386-pc
   -  dd if=stage1 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
   -  dd if=stage2 of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 seek=1
2. Now insert above mentioned floppy, change your BIOS so that so that
your first bootable media is floppy. Now turn the power on , you will
see GRUB> prompt. Once you are
In GRUB environment, type in the sequence of commands, which is in
/boot/grub/menu.lst e.g in my case ..
 root (hd0,1)
 kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.27-2-386 root=/dev/hda2 ro
 initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.4.27-2-386
 boot

.... Now your system will be booted.

Balbir Pabla