Kent West wrote:

> (Off-Topic because this is really a LaTeX question rather than a Debian
> question.)

Not an offtopic question. You are using Debian, so this is relevant IMHO.

> I've been using OpenOffice.org to produce paper copies of songs written
> for guitar, but with all the talk about LaTeX on this list lately, I got
> to wondering if it might be a better product.

In your case, I suggest to use texmacs.

> The material looks like standard guitar tabs you'd find on the web, like
> this, from http://www.guitaretab.com/a/adam-sandler/211.html:

I am unable to access this website. But I will give it a try with the song
you provided.

> ADAM SANDLER
> THE WEDDING SINGER VOL.2
> GROW OLD WITH YOU
> Transcribed by BEB 910 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>

> Verse 1
> I wanna make you smile
> Bm
> Whenever you're sad
> C#m
> Carry you around
> When your arthritis is bad
> A                  E
> All I wanna do is
>      D         A     E
> Grow old with you.

See the output attached. The commands I used are

1. select the text with your mouse
2. texmacs -> Text -> Environment -> Verbatim
3. Edit -> Paste from -> Verbatim

You just need to adjust the spaces if necessary....

> And my second question: Is the learning curve going to be worth it, or
> should I just stick to OO.o which pretty much does the job already?

I say go with texmacs. It's learning curve is not as steep as latex. You can
pretty much do everything in texmacs + it is a GUI environment.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

<TeXmacs|1.0.6.8>

<\body>
  <\verbatim>
    Verse 1

    \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ A

    I wanna make you smile

    Bm

    Whenever you're sad

    C#m

    Carry you around

    \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ D

    When your arthritis is bad

    A \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ E

    All I wanna do is

    \ \ \ \ \ D \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ A \ \ \ \ E

    Grow old with you.

    \;

    \;

    Verse 2

    \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ A

    I'll get you medicine

    Bm

    When your tummy aches

    C#m

    Build you a fire

    \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ D

    When the furnace breaks

    A \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ E

    It could be so nice

    Growing old with you.

    \;
  </verbatim>