On 3/31/07, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

I'm using a simple script for making backups with tar. I can't make tar
> quiet, so cron keeps mailing me 'Removing leading `/' from member names' .
> Adding > /dev/null doesn't help. What can I do to catch tar's output and
> keep it from shouting all over the place?

a "> /dev/null" redirects  stdout to /dev/null, but stderr is left
untouched.
a "&> /dev/null" redirects both stdout and stderr to /dev/null.

A google search for redirection bash brings you here:

I'm sorry, hit "send" by accident.
I meant:
A google search for [redirection bash] brings you here:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-3.html

Tnx,

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.

--
Software is like sex: it is better when it is free.