>>> Is this a clue? When I try to use aptitude it wants to remove
>>> 150+ "unused" packages, including Gnome.  Doesn't feel right
>>> to me so I don't use it.

If `apt-get upgrade' suggested to remove `gnome'. I'd do the following:

   apt-get install gnome

If that doesn't do anything, then I'd write down the list of packages it
wants to remove, then let it remove them, then go ahead and ask it to
re-install them (although I'd probably not give the whole list, but start
with just `gnome' and then add the few packages that I know I need and that
were not installed as part of `gnome').

I've never needed to re-install Debian.

        Stefan