* Larry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [080117 21:28]:
> I've been using Debian with dial-up for about 8 years and it's getting
> pretty slow, so I thought I would try DSL.  The problem is I have
> absolutely no understanding of how DSL works.  If I could get a
> connection I don't even understand how the browsers, etc. know how to
> use it.  And this is after reading the docs, searching Google and the
> Debian list, etc.  Is there a good step by step guide somewhere?
>
> When I run pppoeconf I get: "the Access Concentrator of your provider
> did not respond."  I have also tried pppoe-setup.  At this point, I
> really wonder if the modem is even connected to the computer.  Is
> there a way to check it?

I think that the easiest possible way to handle PPPoE is with
SmoothWall Express 2.0 (www.smoothwall.org).  SmoothWall is a GPL
firewall/router package which pre-configured, is administered through
a web interface, and is extremely well documented with internal,
on-line help files.  SmoothWall requires only an old PC of the Pentium
variety (200 MHz Pentium processor, 64 Mbyte RAM, 1 Gbyte drive, CD
ROM for installation, 2 ethernet ports).

After you download a small ISO image and burn a CD, you can install
SmoothWall in about 15 minutes.  Once SmoothWall has been installed,
go to any machine in the LAN, open a browser, and view the SmoothWall
administration web page at http://192.168.1.1:81 .

You can set up SmoothWall to act as a DHCP server for the LAN, and you
can set it up to handle PPPoE.  If you need help, every web page has a
HELP button which brings up a comprehensive explanation of the
parameters and options.

Should you need to return to dial-up, it takes only a few minutes to
switch SmoothWall from DSL to dial-up or from dial-up to DSL.

I have been running SmoothWall Express 2.0 for several years, and it
has been trouble-free.

RLH