In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> Larry writes:
> > What I'm thinking is maybe Verizon gives people different modems.  My
> > modem says it's a DSL2+Router, so maybe it would work if it was just a
> > DSL2 modem without the Router?

> Pppoeconfig will work if the modem is configured for bridge mode (like
> mine) but not if it is configured as a router (like yours).  I suggest
> that you follow Mike Bird's advice below.  You are making it more complex
> than it is.

Going by the replies I've received, if I use DHCP I will have to use
IE to set the username and password in the modem (the IE I have
running under Wine can't access the modem).  I think this is probably
true, because I don't see a way to enter the username and password in
dhclient.conf.  Should the username be entered in the modem as just
'user' or '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'?

I'll try to setup DHCP without a password and see if it works, but it
will take awhile to figure this out.

I do know someone that uses Windows and they live close enough that I
might be able to use their computer to set the modem.  The techs at
Verizon say I could change the modem from router mode to bridge mode
using IE, but then I would have to use a router with the modem, which
I don't have don't want to do.  So is it possible to use the modem in
bridge mode with pppoe and not use a router?  If so, it seems like it
might be better this way because then I will probably be able to see
the transfer rate on my toolbar.  But then it might be faster using
DHCP.  Does using the modem in router mode protect the computer better
than using it in bridge mode?

Anyway this is still pretty confusing to me, so I hope I'll be able
to figure it out in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the help so far,

   Larry