Александър Л. Димитров wrote:
> Quoth Hugo Vanwoerkom:
>>
>> ext2. Never have used any other.
>
> I seriously hope that this was a joke...

Maybe it was, but I never used anything but ext2 either, and that
is no joke. It has worked fine for many years. I often considered
"upgrading" to ext3, but so far I've never taken this step. I
expect this is the same for many "users of old".

I am especially put off by the Wikipedia article on ext3. It gives
a rather long list of "disadvantages". One of them ("No
checksumming in journal") even sounds pretty frightening. The list
of "advantages" is very short, and they are mostly advantages over
Reiserfs and other non-ext2 systems, not advantages over ext2.

But sometimes bugs in applications can cause a complete freeze of
X, incl. keyboard and mouse. It happens to me about once a year,
unfortunately also yesterday evening. In such a case there is
nothing you can do but pull the plug. Then when you reboot, all
sorts of alarming messages appear. By invoking fsck one can
normally get the system to boot again, but there may be
side-effects (e.g. my old iceweasel "history" was gone after the
reboot yesterday).

So now I am more or less ready to take the plunge. But I would
still like some advice.

1. Is it true that ext3 always lets you recover smoothly after a
   "freeze and pull the plug", or after a power cut? Or are there
   still "ifs" and "buts"?
2. Is significant room on the disk (or partition) taken by the
   journal? By how much can I expect the disk capacity to be
   reduced?
3. It is said ext3 is "slow". Does this apply to writing only, or
   also to reading? I.e., is there a danger that when I play a
   film with mplayer, I'll get the dreaded message "Your system is
   TOO SLOW to play this"?
4. I have my whole Linux system, apart from swap (i.e. the root,
   and everything that branches off it, like /boot, /var, /usr)
   just on one logical partition. Can I still convert to ext3,
   possibly by using a Knoppix or Ubuntu CD-ROM to boot from?
5. Where can I find reliable, step-by-step instructions for the
   conversion? There are several such instruction sites on the
   Web, but I am not sure they always agree.

PS: Kernel is 2.6.20-1-686

Regards, Jan