Paul Johnson wrote:

> Step 1: Get root privileges.
> Step 2: Type tune2fs -j /dev/whatever
> Step 3: Remount the filesystem ext3...

I did this, and indeed it was amazingly easy. On a partition of
about 24 G (well, this is an *old* disk!) a file /.journal of 128
M (indeed much less than 1%) was created instantaneously. Now
mount -l shows that I have an ext3 system.

What I did was (may have been over-cautious):

Step 1: close all applications, close X, get into a console.
Step 2: get root privileges.
Step 3: close the SMB connection to my wife's Windows machine.
Step 4: /etc/init.d/networking stop
Step 5: edit /etc/fstab; change ext2 to ext3 for my root device
        (/dev/hda5 in my case).
Step 6: type tune2fs -j /dev/hda5. The journal was created
        instantaneously (I'd expected this to take a long time.
        but it did not).
Step 7: reboot.

Some steps may have been unnecessary, but it seems I have a
working ext3 system now. It is really easy. The real smoke test
will come, of course, when I pull the plug. Will do this now; if
you do not hear from me, the test will have failed. Thanks to all
who responded!

Regards, Jan