Micha Feigin wrote:
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 18:25:31 +0100
Abdelkader Belahcene <abelahc...@gmail.com> wrote:

HI,
There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
use that language instead of the other.

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

thanks a lot
bela
______

We can't answer that question without knowing what problem you want to solve.

If you are just looking to learn a first language for the fun of it I would go
with c++ with emphasis on object orient paradigms. That is what most jobs look
for and most open source projects use in case you want to help.

On the other hand it's a shitty language with a LOT of pitfalls once you need
to implement things effectively.

I agree with Micha - First define what you want to program in the long run. If you aspire to becoming a kernel hacker then learn C. If you want to write scripts as web robots for screen scraping then you have more options but perl is often used here. If you want to write gnome applications - C, if KDE then C++

A few notes:

C is the basis of many languages and some people - such as Bruce Eckel of Mindview - actually teach C as a preparation to learning C++ and Java. C is a good start.

Python is object oriented and as such is useful if you specifically want to learn nice, clean object oriented language. However its not a good start if you want to then move to another language.

Basic is awful - I started with Basic in the early 80's and it was the defacto learning standard - but even then we knew it was awful!

If you want to write dynamic websites then PHP (very C like) or Perl (a bit C like) are supported by just about every ISP.