On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 10:15:36PM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> >But is this a Debian problem because of dependencies or something else
> >broken, or a KDE problem?
>
> It's really a KDE problem, although the solution will probably cause some
> trouble for the Debian packaging team as well.  Especially minimizing the
> amount of configuration required while still allowing multiple possible
> backends.

That isn't really the problem: It doesn't matter to me which RDMBS is
needed because I have none installed, and before I'm not needing one
for something, I'm not going to install one --- and maybe even then I
might not because my computer is a workstation and not a server. I
don't want to run an akonadi server either, whatever that is. I've
been using plan for at least 10 years, and it always worked just fine
--- and it doesn't eat memory like crazy.

Why don't they save the data in human readable text files in users'
home directories without needing all kinds of external server
software? It's not like I had 500000 appointments or a company with
thousands of users for which a central database server to store
appointments might make sense. Even if I had that, the installation
doesn't ask if I want to use a mysql server on another host.

Besides, entrusting important information to a particular application
is not an option. If I had done that over the last 15 years, I'd
probably have lost that information several times or it would have at
least become inaccessable.

Now entrust it to some RDBMS behind several layers of applications?
That's ridiculous. Send it over a network to another host? Not without
becoming a security expert first to be able to make sure that all
connections are encrypted and that no unauthorized access is possible
--- maybe change out all the network hardware the company uses for
more secure devices. That also is ridiculous.

So what have they been thinking to come up with something like that?