On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 01:43:35PM +0800, 明覺 wrote:

> > What about XML, YAML, HTML, javascript, and such? No more browser? No
> > more internet? :-)
> Of course I will use all of them, I even use windows vista everyday
> for playing games, that's my user role; for my programmer role, I will
> use Xml and html, for they are data files, not programming languages,
> I will try to write my own brower in C++, and use a subset of C++ to
> be the dhtml programming language instead of javascript.

OK. I'll bite :) 15 years ago, I studied a couple of terms of evening
classes in programming in C.

One of the exercises thrown at us was: Build a reservation system for a
10 seat commuter aeroplane.

Small, simple, defined - but harder than it looks on paper. Go for it:
from your posts, you have the programming credentials.
Try the following exercise:

Build one in PHP / webforms (or Javascript) - "web languages", anyway.

Build one in pure Perl.

Build one in C or C++ writing to a MySQL/Postgres database.

Build one in C / C++ alone.

Build one in assembler.

Shouldn't take you long. That'll give you a much better feel for how/why
different approaches have their strengths and weaknesses. It will mean
you're porting code that should be familiar and that you can read and
understand because you wrote it. Its a limited problem: the real world
is harder.

For extra credit, put it up on a website somewhere and submit the URL
back here for the code to be analysed by others here.

Come back when you're done. Then decide whether your ideas are feasible.

AndyC