Personally I use Maildirs.  Mail is delivered to a Maildir folder under each
user's home directory.  Folders in your mail client are also folders in the
Maildir.  Many mail clients can read Maildirs (Evolution being one.
Possibly Icedove, not sure though.)  Procmail understands Maildirs.  You
just tell it the folder name you want a message copied to in your rules.

You can also use an IMAP server, as I do.  IMAP allows folders, unlike POP3.
And most IMAP servers understand Maildirs.  Then just point any mail client
to the IMAP server (which can be localhost), and your mail client will
display the folder hierarchy.  Webmail servers will connect to an IMAP
server running on the localhost, so then you will be able to access your
email from any web browser anywhere, assuming your computer is reachable
from the Internet, and still see all your folders.

Also, personally I use a different mail filtering program, not procmail, but
the basic functionality is the same.

-- Kevin