On 2009-08-24 19:56, Paul Cartwright wrote:
On Mon August 24 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
But if Paul is asking the benefit of procmail over competing MDAs
like maildrop, then the benefit is cryptic line noise a la Perl.

what I'm asking is.. will it benefit me to change the way I do email and add another program into the mix.
right now I do fetchmail to /var/mail/myuser
kmail picks up the mail, does all the filtering...
when I fire up icedove, it is a totally separate set of folders & emails ( dating back 2 years:)

I'm not sure I understand how I can use procmail to put mail into filtered folders that any mail program can read. It would be nice to be able to switch programs & still have all my mail in the same folders.. but looking at the procmailrc( now non-existant), then thinking about my 200 kmail filters, I'm not sure I could tackle that task..

Adding to Kevin's excellent points:

The Windows Way (actually pioneered by Netscape, but who's quibbling?) combines server and client functionality into the MUA. This was needed on Win3.1 and Win9X, and tradition has kept it afloat.

On Linux, though, mail clients don't have to be so do-all.

By using a mail retriever, you've made the important First Step in divesting your Mail User Agent from non-User functionality.

The next step is to integrate procmail with fetchmail and have it deposit the email in a client-neutral location. Maildir and IMAP were designed for this very purpose.

Then you will be able to use whatever MUA you want (or Mutt, if you are using Testing or Sid, and X ever craps out for a few days), on whatever machine you desire (as long as it is networked with your main PC).

--
Obsession with "preserving cultural heritage" is a racist impediment
to moral, physical and intellectual progress.