On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Martin Kraus <lists...@wujiman.net> wrote:
> Hi. I have been wondering what is the difference between qemu and qemu-kvm
> packages
> for kvm virtualization. Manual page in qemu packages shows, that it should be
> able to work with kvm. Uncle google is silent about this.

To run kvm, you need virtualization support in your processor.  To
test for this, run the following

egrep '^flags.*(vmx|svm)' /proc/cpuinfo

If there's output, you can run kvm.

Formally and in Lenny, there were two packages: qemu and kvm.  If your
processor couldn't run kvm, you would install that and run qemu (and
use module-assistant to compile & install the qemu accelerator
module).

However, I believe that in Squeeze there is just one package: qemu-kvm
and both kvm and qemu are just virtual packages.  For more info,
install qemu-kvm and read README.Debian.gz in /usr/share/doc/qemu-kvm.