On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 02:06:28PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 10:39 -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 01:34:09PM -0400, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> > > Hello, all.  We are in the process of switching from Ubuntu 8.0.4 to
> > > Debian Lenny plus selected backports (e.g., OpenOffice, IceWeasel).
> > > Since donig so, GnuCash (2.2.6-2) seg faults every time we try to open
> > > an account.  Since these are our production financials, you can imagine
> > > this is quite a problem!
> > >
> > > The end of the gnucash trace file in debug mode shows:
> >
> > Can you please provide output generated by the crash when launching
> > gnucash from a terminal.
> Alas, there is nothing particularly helpful:
> jas...@jasiii:~$ gnucash --debug
> gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disabled at configure
> time.
>
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.13
> Segmentation fault

hmmm... okay, a couple of options.

1) run gnucash from the command line: gnucash --nofile
which will open an empty gnucash instance. If that doesn't crash, then
try opening your file from the file menu at that point. I suspect this
won't work though, that it will crash.

2) install version 2.2.9 from squeeze. this may be problematic as it
may bring in lots of gnome stuff you may not want. I haven't hacked on
gnucash in a while, so I can't say what the state of 2.2.6 was, but I
know there were a couple of problem releases for a bit there. It may
be one of them.

3) get on #gnucash on irc.gnome.org and ask there. The channel can be
pretty slow, so you'll have to lurk around for a while. Those guys can
probably figure it out, but be prepared to defend your reasons for not
moving up to 2.2.9, the current release.

4) build gnucash from source. This isn't as hard as you might
think. do apt-get build-dep gnucash and start there. you'll probably
want to use the --enable-opt-style-install to put it in a different
path to keep from mixing up with dpkg.