On Sun, 23 May 2010 08:05:08 +0200
Sven Joachim <svenj...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2010-05-23 07:47 +0200, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>
> > No, resist forced conformity.  This is Linux.  We have multiple
> > choice with everything else, so we should darn well have our choice
> > of boot loader.
>
> You're welcome to work on lilo so that can cope with the increasing
> size of kernel images and initramfs.

strictly speaking this is the correct answer.

however, functionally this decision is a "you don't have any real,
practical alternative", you have to use grub.  Lack of options is
always bad.

Furthermore asking people to test it is not exactly a minor request.
When it doesn't work you get to break out the rescue disk and go
through some relatively painful work to recover.  I know, because I had
to do it.

I for one would really appreciate it if the lilo maintainer could write
just a little bit about the scope of work required to fix it (to this
list). It would be a real shame if lilo goes away.

Brian