consul tores wrote:
Could you say why?

I misunderstood you, or simply wasn't aware of the terminology, sorry. I mistakenly thought you were suggesting the creation of an entirely new Debian kernel.

We have lost the posibility to install from disquette, we have to add
an initrd, SElinux have been added by default because of Linus, Linus
kernels define what to do, and ad infinitum.

Linux is still extremely tweakable, and you are free to build the kernel whichever way you want to. If you can't, maybe a specific distribution of it will fit your needs -- the fact that its default configuration doesn't [fit] doesn't necessarily mean Linus is evil, but that maybe the general needs of most people are shifting. He doesn't have absolute power over everything.

Beeing actually aware of what's going on there is also a must to understand the choices beeing taken. I'm not strictly suggesting you aren't, but you must admit that going on a revolution because a full featured modern kernel *in its default configuration* won't fit a disquette lacks some sense. They had their reasons to drop that "feature".

I'm not sure you'd like to debate your other examples here, but to avoid any confusion: no you don't *have* to use initrds -- complaints for using them by default even though you don't need them for your particular setup should go to the distributors, not "Linus". Not sure they would be valid though (they *are* necessary for many setups for technical reasons that don't have much to do with the kernel).

Do you know how BSDs work? Have you try Hurd?

Are you referring to the BSDs development model? Anyway, progress on kfreebsd *is* impressive, and it indeed looks like it might become a very good alternative for Debian in the near future, but I wouldn't say the same for the Hurd. It's actually very interesting, but currently lacks much needed traction.

Well you can see some reasons to built Debian kernels.

Absolutely, choice is always good.

-t