Hi,

I'm running Sid on my amd64 home desktop, and I had been using it as
DHCP server and DNS server for my home network.  I had my eth0
statically set to 192.168.0.100 in /etc/network/interfaces. I have a
basic consumer Netgear router, and had a couple of other machines as
clients.

With a aptitude safe-upgrade and reboot today, my setup broke.  I'm no
network expert, but it appears that eth0 is no longer getting an IPv4
address on boot:

 dbruce@emperor:~/Documents$ sudo ifconfig -a
[sudo] password for dbruce:
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr aa:00:04:00:0a:04
          inet6 addr: fe80::250:8dff:fe98:3d20/64 Scope:Link
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:3384 (3.3 KiB)  TX bytes:14730 (14.3 KiB)
          Interrupt:23 Base address:0x8000

To simplify things (and to ease the wrath of my wife, who couldn't use
her computer because the network relied on my machine as DHCP server),
I put the Netgear router back to its default role as DHCP server and
just use the ISP DNS servers.  So my desktop's eth0 is now supposed to
use DHCP with the plain vanilla settings:

>From /etc/network/interfaces: ---------------

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

So now, on bootup my web browser won't connect.  If I run "sudo
dhclient eth0" I get a IPv4 address assigned to the interface, and
everything seems to work.  Of course, I'd like to understand what's
going on, and at some point would like to do my own DNS again (mainly
so I can use a human-friendly name for my Ampache music server).

So what's changed recently with networking?  Am I being dragged into
the IPv6 world?

Thanks for any help,

David Bruce