On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 12:01:27 -0500
shawn wilson <ag4ve...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mar 8, 2011 10:29 AM, "Joe" <j...@jretrading.com> wrote:
> >

> > One possibly important point: all Windows versions since 95 can act
> > as
> routers, but IP forwarding is not enabled by default. If ICS is not
> used, forwarding must be manually enabled. I believe this registry
> tweak should apply to all versions:
> >  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315236
> >

> Sense 95, really? Darn, Microsoft was really trying to be ahead of
> their time here ;)
> If you could get 95 to stand up for more than a week, they might have
> had the server market.
>
> All joking aside, I'm impressed.

They were very early steps. If you so much as changed the IP address,
you had to not only reboot, but first put in the installation CD, even
though it wasn't necessary. I ran it for about three years, without too
much trouble, though of course I wasn't expecting it to stay up for
days at a time. I believe NT3.5, roughly contemporary, was fairly
stable, but there was little common code, just similar-looking GUIs.

--
Joe