debian-user:

I recently installed Debian 6.0.0 i386 Squeeze on a system with NVIDIA graphics. When I went to build/ install the proprietary NVIDIA video driver, it wanted gcc. So I installed the Debian gcc package. The NVIDIA installer then informed me that the version of gcc installed on my system (4.4) did not match the version used to compile the kernel (4.3). So, I installed the Debian package gcc-4.3, set the CC environment variable, and installed the NVIDIA driver.

Why does Debian have, and I presume use (?), two versions of gcc?

David