Camaleón wrote:
On Wed, 09 Mar 2011 09:52:38 -0800, David Christensen wrote:

I recently installed Debian 6.0.0 i386 Squeeze on a system with NVIDIA
graphics.  When I went to build/ install the proprietary NVIDIA video
driver, it wanted gcc.  So I installed the Debian gcc package.  The
NVIDIA installer then informed me that the version of gcc installed on
my system (4.4) did not match the version used to compile the kernel
(4.3).  So, I installed the Debian package gcc-4.3, set the CC
environment variable, and installed the NVIDIA driver.

Why does Debian have, and I presume use (?), two versions of gcc?

Two versions? I'd say there are even more (3.4, 4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, 4.5...) and I'm afraid this is not a Debian specific (other distributions should do the same way) :-)

Different GCC versions may be needed to match different software compilation requirements.

Right. I see it when I use 4.4 but the kernel-headers package needs 4.3 because the kernel is compiled with that particular version, so 4.3 is installed. I now have 4.4 and 4.5 installed.

Hugo