On 08/06/11 20:06, Darac Marjal wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 06:40:14PM +0000, Camale�n wrote:
> [cut]

<snipped, sorry Camale�n>

> As for not working on clear surfaces, consider yourself lucky.

Very

> Sun optical mice (e.g. http://www.memoryxsun.com/3701398.html) require a
> specific mousepad with a calibrated grid printed on them. The mouse can
> only report its movement relative to this grid (rather than relative to
> an arbitrary surface as with modern mice).

I've used those mousepads - after a while the plastic coating wear
through and you discover they're toxic (nickel coated). We quickly
swapped them for gridded paper sticky taped to the desk instead of black
hands and a nasty metallic taste in your mouth. Not saying they'll kill
you, but if your zinc levels are low it could make you sick.

I've only recently moved to Optical mice because I used to think I had
more fine control with a wheel mouse. With the optical mice I use my
thumb, the little finger, and the heel of my hand on the desktop to help
limit the mouse movement - with a wheel mouse only the heel of my hand
used to touch the desk. The "grippiness/stickiness" of the ball used to
give better single pixel movement control for things like graphics.
Pushing down on an optical mouse does not allow you to restrict movement
the way pushing down on an optical mouse does, as the friction in an
optical mouse comes from my hand contacting the desk and the little pads
on the base of the mouse - as opposed to the friction generated by the
device that actually measures movement.

It matters little whether it's a ball, or optics for most desktop
applications - except graphics. Where the optical mouse truly excels is
when I want to use an external mouse with laptops - works fine on the
arm of a chair or my leg.

As for wireless mice - I believe the lag of the early models has been
reduced, and I don't see how the weight of something I slide, but never
lift, would bother me. I don't use one because I'm cheap. ;-p

Cheers

--
Tuttle? His name's Buttle.
There must be some mistake.