On 12/07/11 23:46, Go Linux wrote:
> [...]

Why not just use a single host file on your firewall/router?  DHCP
always seems like overkill for equipment you own.
eg. reserve static addresses 192.168.0.2-10 for your machines,
192.168.10-20 for people who regularly bring machines onto your network
(LAN parties, your mums computer when it needs fixing etc) and use DHCP
for 192.168.0.30-40 for irregularly connected machines.

I'm simplifying - you probably have at least a Green zone, which would
we setup up similar to the above example, and an Orange for webserver/s
- where you definitely want static addresses eg 192.168.1.2-10, and a
Blue zone for wireless devices eg 192.168.2.2-10, with maybe
192.168.2.11-20 as dynamic.
Your router/firewall would then be 192.168.0.1 for the Green gateway,
192.168.1.1 for the Orange, and 192.168.2.1 for the Blue.

Your name resolution would be fast, the load on your DHCP server
minimal, and pinholes and portforwarding would be simple and easy to
maintain.

>> I am curious, if I wanted to translate my IPv4
>> configuration into an IPv6 world;
>> � * I know there's a lot of talk about IPv6's
>> wonderful auto-configuration eliminating the need for DHCP
>> but how does this work with a static DNS setup?

Pretty much the same as the example above - just substitute an IPv6
address. Debian is just waiting for you to feed it IPv6, ditto for
Windows 7, not so much for OSX, dunno about your embedded devices.

Hopefully someone with experience will correct my statements about those
OS's and support - or you could consult isc.org and wikipedia ;-p

>> � * Would I need to use DHCP6 and DNS, or
>> auto-configuration and allow dynamic DNS updating (assuming
>> IPv6's router discovery allows the clients to discover and
>> update the DNS themselves)?

Not unless you want to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

>> � * Would I have to trust the clients to update their
>> own DNS records (I don't at the moment)?

See above.

>> � * In the DHCP-less world, how would clients
>> "discover" the local DNS suffix (e.g. (fictitous)
>> "internal.home.my.tld")?

It will depend on what methods your ISP provides

But it's really too early to determine what can be done with what the
ISPs will provide, until the ISPs provide it.

For some current real world implementations try:-
http://ipv6.internode.on.net/configuration/
http://ipv6.internode.on.net/access/tunnel-broker/

NOTE: your region and ISPs may offer different implementations, I don't
know how relevant the examples of Internode are as I've only compared
them to iiNet's offerings. As discussed in another thread the big ISPs
in my country have no plans for IPv6 in the forseeable future. As in $43
billion for a National Broadband network that doesn't support IPv6 :-(

>> As I'm sure you can see I've got a whole load of questions
>> and no compelling answers so I hope that some of the well
>> informed folks on this list might be willing to point me in
>> something approximating the right direction!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Laurence
>>

> And I'd like to add an IPV6 question to which I have not found an answer . . .
>
> How is it going to work on DIALUP!!!  At least I have a good internal
> hardware modem . . .

Fortunately neither of you have got to worry about that for a while :-)
When the majority of sites and ISPs move to IPv6 it'll be dual-stacks
and tunnels for some time - maybe not out of respect for your investment
in dial-up modems but there's a lot of big ticket telco equipment (and
other gear) owned by influential companies that won't natively support IPv6.
I'd hesitantly suggest not buying IPv6 equipment until it's absolutely
necessary - both for price and feature reasons.

Cheers

--
What did moths bump into before the electric light bulb was invented?
Boy, the lightbulb really screwed the moth up didn't it? Are there moths